(2nd s/o Philip & Maria Brady Cable) was in Stony Creek, prior to summer of 1762. He moved into the area from
Germantown about 1760. He settled at the juncture of the two Indian trails, one running north and south to Niagara Falls
and Canada; the other going south from Brotherton, to the Indian villages in Tennessee. This crossing at Brotherton was a
very important spot in the life of the Indians and later the early settlers. Henry, George and James Brotherton were there
when Cable and his large family moved to the "crossing".

Abraham Cable built a log cabin just across the Indian trail from the Brotherton boy cabin. They had located at a spring,
where now the milk house of Mr.& Mrs. Robert Bauermaster, or about where the barn now stands. It seems that when
the Stony Creek road (now Rt. 31) was built through the settlement and it was located in the Bauermaster meadow, north
of the house, before the present site was located, that it was planned that way in order not to pass through the Brotherton,
Cable holdings. Nevertheless, the eldest son, Jonathan born at Brotherton, 1761, later built his log cabin in the field just east
of his father. By 1762 there must have been at least seven or eight cabins at the Brotherton crossing. There are four old
foundation scars in the area; just across the road from the Church parsonage is an old hay barrack. This was located on
the Christian Cable cabin foundation. (Christian was born, 1766, died 1828), buried on Calvin Will Farm).

Abraham was born in 1729 in Switzerland. (Abraham was listed on the 1800 Belin, Penn. roster of citizens of the 1800
Census as being past 45 years of age.)  He was naturalized in 1762, which caused a stir among the Brethren at
Germantown because a member had to take the "Oath of Allegiance to the King of England" this was against the order of
the Church for they followed the strict letter of the Scriptures which said: but above all things, my brethren, swear not,
neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by other oath; but your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into
condemnation." James 5:12. The Naturalization Act declared that the applicant had to have a signed statement from the
clergy that he had attended a Communion Service within a period of three months. No elder at Germantown would sign the
record. It is alleged that Rev. Conrad Beissel signed the document. From that date on Abraham Cable was denied
fellowship with the Brethren although he was baptized and reared in the Faith; indeed it is the belief of the author that he
never really accepted all the teachings and beliefs of the  Church of Brethren. When he settled in Bruedersthal he became a
part of the Brethren fellowship for it was the convenient and practical thing to do. From the very beginning of the Church
in Brothers Valley there was separation in may fields and may practices. Cable became the clerk as it was called in that day
for the Brethren. Abraham had attended the Ludwig Hoecker Sunday School at Germantown, and the school held by
Conrad Beissel at Ephrata. He had been indoctrinated very well by the Seventh day teachings at Ephrata. He played a large
role in Martin's Church in Stony Creek.

Abraham was a well-read man for his day, he could read and write German, French and English. He was a surveyor and
mathematician. He had traveled far and wide among the Indians besides being familiar with the law. In fact, his neighbors
thought so much of him and his ability as a scribe and counselor that in October, 1771, they signed the following paper:
(referred to in Minutes of council of November 23, 1771) read in council 23d Nov., yr 1771; & a Commission issued to
Abraham Kebles a Justice of the Peace & for the County of Bedford. (This is a direct quote as copied from the original
document)  (It is said that he was the first such Justice East of the Alleghany Mountains.) Abraham Keble is a Person in
whom they have Confidence, is a Man of Proper and Reputation,and understands both Languages (German & English).
They therefore - Request your Honor will be pleased to commissionate and Appoint he said Abrahm Keble or some other
Person your Honor may approve to be a Magistrate in that Quarter.
(Note; there was two pages of names on the petition. Two of these names were: Jacob & Peter FISCHER.)

He was one of the original members of Stony Creek Baptist Church, Bedford County, Pennsylvania. The Stony Creek
Congregation remained Seventh Day Baptists until 1774, then went with the German Baptist Brethren about this time.
However, many of the fore parents of the members here lived and worshipped in the Stony Creek Congregation and had
remained staunch Brethren all their lives. It was not uncommon that the Brethren and the Sabbatarians (Seventh Day
Baptists) worshipped together in many communities, except that the Brethren never kept the seventh day as the Sabbath.
There is no written record of the congregation between the dates of 1762 and 1825. These histories of Somerset County
and South Western Pennsylvania conclude that from 1763 to 1770 a general Indian outbreak caused many families to be
scattered and driven out in these formative years of their history.  It does see true, however, that some of the old families
remained in spite the dangers. There is much evidence both in family histories and the 1770 tax roster that many of the
named families did remain within the Stony Creek area, such as the Rhoads, Cables, Kimmels, Kneppers and others.
Abraham Cable, Esquire
1729 ~ Abt. 1805
Cable Cemetery
Photo Courtesy of
Donna Tivener
Click photo for full view