September 30, 1961, Magnolia Ohio

Dear David and Nancy,

This evening (Sat) after the bank closed for the day, since it was the last day of the month, Lee started to figure the service charges
on the checking accounts and will continue until finished, probably at twelve o’clock tonight. I have quarterly reports I can make to
pass in the time, but thought I would write to you first.

I did not read Lee’s last letter to you so I am not familiar with what she told you about our trip to the United Kingdom – We were
compelled to hurry on that Saturday afternoon (Aug 26th) to get to (Akron-Canton Airport) after working here until 3:30 PM in the
bank –Our plane took off for Cleveland at Six o’clock, John, Dean, Jane, Kristine, Karen and Nancy were there to see us off – In
twenty three minutes we were in Cleveland and were met by
Helen and Milton Portz –they took us to dinner at the Airport and during
dinner we had a very enjoyable time reading history concerning my grandfather which Helen had preserved and also letters written by
Pa Greer, as he was called –letters to very dear and special friends back in Ireland – also letters from Uncle John Greer who came to
Ohio from Ireland after Pa Greer came and then to Nebraska where the family lived for many years –Sophia and Samuel, children of
John, both died at Long Beach, Calif, I believe-

I don’t think you ever had the opportunity to read any of the letters or articles written by Pa Greer but I can tell you they are all
master pieces in English Composition, especially his letter to Rev. Dinham in Ireland, his article entitled "
A few thoughts on being a
Christian” and his twelve love letters now in possession of a woman in Cleveland – who says nothing equal to them has ever been
written and she thinks they should be published in book form – Knowing and being familiar with some of these facts and history of
the early life of my grandfather gave me the urge to see when such a man was born and where he obtained such knowledge and
learning about so many aspects of life –

At ten o’clock PM we boarded the Trans Canadian Jet and in one hour we were in
Toronto, Canada when transferred to another jet,
taking off in approximately fifteen minutes –The weather was warm and perfect for flying – the moon was full and the great white
clouds look like icebergs –

At 3:30 AM our time, the sun began to rise in Briton making the night seem so very short

We landed in
Prestwick, Scotland at 5:00 o’clock, past six hours from Toronto. We flew at 620 miles per hour and at an altitude of
42,000ft – the jet weighed 140 tons, including the fuel which weighed 65 tons – 127 passengers were aboard – after refueling at
Prestwick we flew to London, arriving at approx. seven o’clock our time but twelve o’clock London time – We went directly from
the London Airport to hotel
Grosvenor House when we immediately got some rest, as of course, we could not sleep on the trip over,
so much going on visiting with passengers etc. In the late afternoon we got started, seeing as much of London before dark as was
possible – Ate our first meal, dinner or (High Ten) at 6:30 PM at Grosvenor House dining room, six waiters attending us each having
his particular duty – They have the unemployment problem licked.

Monday we started out early, visiting
Westminster Abbey, the Parliament Bldgs, St Paul’s Cathedral, London Tower, and a multitude
of other places of which you have heard so much about.

On Tuesday, Aug 29th, we went on a guided tour to
Oxford University – Stratford on Avon River, Shakespearian Country. Visited
Warwick Castle, going through it from top to bottom. What a place – the Earl of Warwick surely enjoyed life – Returned to London at
8:00 PM plenty tired as it was the warmest day in England in fifteen years.

At noon Wednesday, Aug 30th, we flew to Dublin on a British plane, flying west over Bristol, then up the channel over the
Irish Sea
to Dublin Airport – this was the most pleasant and interesting flight I have had anywhere.

We took a taxi to the
Shelbourne Hotel where we had a reservation before leaving on the trip – this was the end of our previously
planned trip and from Dublin we drove a
Ford Consul Car, Steering wheel on right side, left hand control and of course drove on the
left side of the road which was quite awkward at first – We drove 547 miles while in Ireland, leaving the car eventually at

It was an interesting trip through the Country, Irish Countryside, visiting everywhere we could stop and talk to the farmers along the
highways. All the Irish people are pleasant and enjoy having Americans come and dislike to see you go. They always leave you by
saying “God Bless you on your way”

The countryside is beautiful, with the fields always so green and divided with sturdy stone fences which in most places have been
built for two hundred years or more – much of the roadside is lined with granite stone walls for miles at a time as you drive along-you
learn very soon after getting into the country that you must be alert and observe quickly when rounding a curve as you very
frequently meet a flock of sheep or herd of cattle coming down the road – It is not uncommon to see such animals being driven
through some of the largest cities in Ireland and by only one man or boy – animals have the preference at all times when there is any
need for it.

Our ultimate destination from Dublin was ‘
Cookstown', being about 115 miles distance. This we drove in approximately six hours
with all the time spent going through customs between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland which is still under English rule –
getting our money exchanged for Irish currency and then in Northern Ireland back into English pounds & shillings again.

We were most happy when we arrived at 'Cookstown' the birthplace of my grandfather – The countryside on or near the approach to
the village was not unlike the terrain you might often see in Ohio, just a rolling country, very green of course and rising very gently
from the highway toward the
Sperrin Mountains just a short distance away. The sun was, just at the moment, disappearing over the
hills, which could not have been a more perfect welcome to our arrival.

We went to the hotel where we found accommodations, got settled in our room, ate dinner, roast lamb which is the main meat in
Ireland and then started out to find anyone by the name of Greer. We were told of a Robert Greer who lived up the street a few feet
from our hotel. We called on him and had a very pleasant visit. He is a man of 78 years and had lived in Cookstown all his life. We
learned a great deal about the history of Cookstown from him and found that certain questions we had not solved in our minds
concerning names of places mentioned in my grandfather’s letters were true and were still there as when he was there as a young

Robert Greer has two sons, Thomas and William and a grandson John who own and operate a hardware store in Cookstown. We
went to the store to meet them all the following day. We found them busy but very cordial – could not establish any close relationship
to them however-

Cookstown has a population of 4500. It has the widest streets of any town, at least, in Ireland. 130 feet.

Mr. Robert Greer the elderly gentleman directed us to the home of Mrs. John Glasgow who before her marriage was Sarah Greer.
She has a half interest in the newspaper published in Cookstown and works at it daily although she is sixty five years of age. We were
very fortunate to have made her acquaintance as she took a great interest in us and was with us almost constantly while we were

We visited many places which we had known of through my grandfather and found them very much in tact and still useful. All
buildings are built of stone and brick so they endure many years. It is quite common to see buildings in Ireland and England a
thousand years old and still in use.

I see this letter is getting quite lengthy so will have to hurry it along from here.

We left Cookstown on Saturday and proceeded to
Londonderry the County Seat of Londonderry County, a beautiful city on the River
Foyle.  This is where Minnie Tephins father was born and from whom she received much of her early education. We then drove
southward along the west coast of Ireland through all the principle cities such as
Strabane, Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Tipperary,
Cashel and many others –always trying to visit the high spots when possible.

On Tuesday evening we stated at the “
Shannon Shamrock Motel” which is located on a beautiful setting just five miles from Shannon
Airport – It was a wonderful place to spend the last night and to rest before making the  hop back to New York on Wednesday.

We went to the airport in plenty of time as we wanted to make some purchases of things we were unable to find elsewhere in Ireland
–after all most a month some things purchased are beginning to arrive. We had a pleasant time at Shannon Airport, eating and visiting
with many people who were anxious to get back to America after an extended visit to the Continent and to Britain and Ireland.

We left Shannon on Pan America Jet at 3:00 PM arriving at
Idlewild, New York at 4:30 PM our time. After much time spent in
customs and in getting accommodations on the helicopter to take us across New York City to Newark we were ready for the last hop
to Canton Airport.

The trip from Newark to Canton was uneventful but landed in quite a cloudburst and found John, Jane and Kristine waiting for us.
We were glad to be home as is seemed at least a month since we left.

When we have the opportunity sometime in the future we can show you the pictures taken on the trip.

I hope this little epistle finds you both well and happy in your present employment and situation.

With lots of love from both of us -
Dad and Lee
Letter from my grandfather
Richard Cable Greer
to my parents detailing his trip to Cookstown,
Ireland: birthplace of
William Harkness Greer, Sr.

He called it an 'epistle' and I just love that he
used that word.
View original letter here