In 1882/1883 Edwin took a business trip to Chicago.  Soon after he went
missing and was never heard from again. No record of his death could be
found. Court Affidavits and Depositions from both Elizabeth Wines and
Nancy Hadley verify this story.

The story handed down through the generations is that he met an untimely
demise for the money, or that he may have had financial troubles that lead
him to take desperate measures. Either way, Nancy never gave up hope that
her husband would return. With each knock on the door, she would run to
answer the door with hope that it was Edwin returning home.

General Affidavit
Elizabeth Wines Deposition
Nancy Hadley Deposition
Edwin Vincent Hadley
Edwin's parents were natives of South Carolina. He acquired his preliminary education at a Quaker
school of Richmond, Indiana after which he attended the University at Ann Arbor, taking up the
study of law which he completed in the Albany Law School at Albany, New York graduating about
the same time the Civil War broke out; and he afterward enlisted in Company E, 26th Michigan
Infantry. He took part in a number of important engagements and at the battle of the Wilderness was
seriously wounded receiving a bullet wound in his knee. This bullet was never extracted and Edwin
suffered from his injuries through his remaining days. For a time he was in the hospital at
Georgetown, D.C. and he was never able to return to active service, but was appointed judge
advocate of the court marshal in New York City acting in that capacity for six months. He then
returned home and he and his wife went on a visit to Indianapolis where he was also appointed judge
advocate of the court, remaining at that place until he received his discharge from the Army. He then
went to Adrian, Michigan, where he entered upon the practice of law, being accorded a large and
lucrative clientage, and for three terms he served as Circuit Court Commissioner of Lenawee County,
and was also Commissioner of Bankruptcy. He was attorney for the Pere Marquette Railroad and had
a gratifying private practice which he conducted successfully until his death, his devotion to his
clients' interests being proverbial.
Taken from a post at

About Jan 20, 1883, Edwin Hadley, a lawyer for the Pere Marquette Railroad, went from St. Ignace,
Mich. to Ann Arbor to visit his family, then on Jan 25 to Chicago on business. What we believe was a
last letter to his wife (from the Sherman House Hotel postmarked Jan 30, 1883) stated his desperate
need for help from a man he was to meet. (He reportedly had about $600 cash with him.) Hadley then
vanished without a trace. He was a Civil War veteran, with a decided limp from a war wound in his
knee. Had brown curly hair, blue eyes, 5'10", 135 lbs. Raised a Quaker, he attended Earlham College
& the U of Mich. (1857-60). Practiced law in Adrian, Mich. 1866-Spring 1881. Son of William &
Ann Harvey Hadley. Husband of Nancy Wines Hadley. Would appreciate any information about him.